Stardom can do a lot to someone’s psyche; It can even go as far to give an individual god-like delusions. It takes a lot to have all that fame and not let it go to your head, especially in the music world. But, there are many cases where humbled beginnings breed humbled musicians and the best example I can think of is Foo Fighter’s frontman, Dave Grohl. Time and time again stories of fan encounters with Dave Grohl touch the heart. His signature gritty, brute force of a voice may make him seem rough on the edges, but he isn’t the hard exterior that we’d expect him to be. It is great thing to have a stage presence as an artist, but it is an even greater and rare thing to have a presence off stage with your fans. So, here is celebrating Dave Grohl and ten of my favorite times, out of the many times, that he proved just why we love to be his fan.
1. Foo Fighter’s long time fan, Ken Powell, who was diagnosed with cancer in 2009 reached out to Dave Grohl via this heart-warming message. After hearing his story, Dave Grohl and the foo’s reached back to him with this just as heart-warming of reply. They even sent Ken VIP passes to their LA show and many foo souvenirs. Thanks to the Grohl and the foo’s Ken will get to check this highly anticipated meet and greet off of his bucket list. You can help support this super fan even more by visiting the following website and donating to fund his travel expenses to the LA concert: http://www.gofundme.com/otyywc
2. He simply understands his fans; a courtesy that isn’t usually extended. He doesn’t expect his music to be interpreted in one single way because he understands that his music will illicit different feelings in different people. He doesn’t want them to experience his music in his way; he wants them to experience it in their OWN way. The fact that he recognizes his fans as individuals rather than a group is commendable on it’s own; It is a concept that many artists fail to even grasp. Here is a quote from Grohl that shows this perfectly:
3. He takes time out of his day and even his shows to appreciate his fans. We all know musicians are busy but Dave Grohl proves that you can never be too busy to appreciate your fan base. He could even be in the middle of rocking out and he’d find a way like in this video where he stops a set to give a blind fan one of his drumsticks.
*Video from YouTube
4. He holds his ground musically. This is something that fans of Nirvana and Foo Fighters can attest to. One of the best things a musician can do for their fans is hold true to who they are and not bend to popular opinion. Dave is an artist who never forgets his roots. This quote shows Dave’s stance perfectly: “Because you have things like ‘American Idol’ and you’ve got radio stations that play music entirely by computers, it’s easy to forget there are bands with actual people playing actual instruments that rock.”
5. He is a great role model. Every fan wants to be able to share their music with their children. Sometimes, in rock and roll, it can be hard to find a musician that you are okay with you kids imitating or idolizing, but Dave Grohl is someone a parent should have no qualms about. All that we can ask is that someone in the limelight as much as Grohl understands that kids are malleable and will follow their idols down even the darkest of roads. Luckily for Foo fans, Grohl doesn’t have many, if any, dark roads to follow. He even promotes kids to be creative and to celebrate individuality. Dave Grohl, being a father of two, not only wants to be someone his kids are proud of but yours as well.
Here is a just a tad bit of the great wisdom he can provide our youth:
“There are times when I feel like a traveling minister. I’m trying to go out and get kids to pick-up yard sale instruments and change the world.”
6. He didn’t give up after the passing of Kurt Cobain. It is well known that the loss was hard for Grohl and he almost didn’t return to making music as a result. The fact that he overlooked his emotional woes and kept pushing through for his fans is proof enough that he is just the coolest.
“I can understand how some people might resent me for having the audacity to continue playing music, but it’d take a lot more than that to stop me from doing it. I started Foo Fighters because I didn’t want to retreat.”
I think I speak for most of the foo fans when I say that we don’t resent you at all Dave, we are thankful you kept gracing us with your music.
7. He doesn’t take life too seriously and is one of music’s most adored goofballs. We all could learn a thing or two from his quirky personality. This picture speaks louder than words:
8. He isn’t a one trick pony. He can produce, direct, sing, and play a number of instruments. He can lead the band in beat and in chorus. He doesn’t blend in, he stands out with everything he puts his stroke of genius on. Even in Nirvana, where Kurt Cobain’s voice reigned supreme, he stood out as one of the greatest drummer’s of all time. He showed his versatility even more when he directed his hit show Sonic Highways, which displayed how different cities had an influence on music. Dave Grohl has many tricks up his sleeve and we have yet to see them all and that’s what makes him so intriguing.
9. He didn’t pay his way, he paved it. That says a lot about a person in terms of work ethic and determination. He shows us all that you can start out of a garage in Virginia and end up in the amphitheaters of the world. As I said in the beginning, humble beginnings breed humble musicians. People say that he only became popular because of Nirvana, which was his big break, but what really helped him break through was his larger than life personality and his versatility. Anyone can make it, but it’s how you make it that really resonates with an audience.
10. And last but not least, he is brutally honest. Stars rarely have the ability to be truthful to themselves let alone the world. He doesn’t hold anything back from his fans in terms of his decisions both in life and in music. In order for your fans to trust your music, you have to strip yourself down emotionally on occasion. He is a performer who is not only believable on stage but in everyday life. He is just a regular, honest guy and that is an extremely likable quality to have. The proof is in his actions, like the one below:
If Dave Grohl saw this, I know he’d be thankful for the post but he’s so humble he’d probably be thinking something along the lines of, “No need for praise. I’m just a good guy; it’s how I should be acting,” with an expression like this:
There is a need for celebration here though. Dave Grohl should be celebrated! The world of music has lost it’s personal touch and artists like Dave have allowed us to connect with musicians and their art on a deeper level than just the surface. There isn’t one person, besides Courtney Love (she obviously doesn’t live up to her last name), that has it in their heart or capability to dislike Dave Grohl and that says a lot about who he is as a person and even more so as an artist. So, we love you Dave Grohl and thanks for always standing by your fans; Just know we will always be standing by you too.
And if you’re still not convinced… Take a look at his luscious locks of hair. All it would take is a hair flip to change your mind.
Get the latest coverage, news & releases from your favorite artists, directly to your inbox